‘They are even afraid of our songs of love’
Van Gogh wrote that the sunflowers in his paintings communicated ‘gratitude’.
for the son of Korryn Gaines and the Movement for Black Lives
Van Gogh painted sunflowers
close, in a vase
his yellow a hue
fresh to the cadre
a vision sliced through reality
with a brush and pallet knife
For artists, activists,
seekers of truth
in this generation
the narrative is broken
each vision is different
each invented colour is new
but we paint with it anyway
to remain willfully
today we choose to believe
the child eyewitnesses
with our heads bowed
we form secret circles
take to the streets
they still killing us
A shut down is sensation
But what options are left
When they refuse to hear
our songs of love?
A collection of news items that have made us angry, made us sad, astounded us, and/or ignited our revolutionary fire lately [trigger warnings for sexual assault, murder and violence against women, reproductive and police injustice].
- Purvi Patel, who says she miscarried, gets 20 years in prison for feticide [Filed under: reproductive injustice, misogyny, patriarchy, intersectionality]
- Mary Jane Veloso Spared in 11th Hour in Indonesia [Filed under: poverty, imperialism, Third World women]
- Mumia Abu-Jamal medical emergency [Filed under: political imprisonment, silencing, state violence]
- 72 killed in Philippines slipper factory fire [Filed under: poverty, Third World Women, inhumane working conditions, unabated capitalism]
- Biker gangs have major shootout, murdering 9 – National Guard not called in, no one is killed by the police or called a thug by the media [Filed under: white privilege, violence in America, gangsters, thugs]
- Baltimore State’s Attorney charges 6 police officers in murder of Freddie Gray; lawyers file motions to dismiss all charges [Filed under: systemic racism, police unaccountability]
- 20 year old gay feminist activist murdered after resistance to on-campus sexism and misogyny led to suspension of rugby team [Filed under: rape culture, misogyny, youth culture, MRAs, LGBT issues, violence in America, violence against women]
- Transgender woman London Chanel murdered in Philadelphia and Remembering Us When We’re Gone, Ignoring Us While We’re Here: Trans Women Deserve More (late but highly relevant post) [Filed under: trans women of colour, violence against women, transmisogyny, LGBT issues]
- Nicki Minaj and Beyonce release new video for ‘Feelin Myself’ [Filed under: carefree Black girls, flawless, problematic faves]
- Global inequality is so bad it’s almost impossible to visualise it [Filed under: poverty, wealth, 1%, globalization, unabated capitalism]
- ‘sHell no!’ Seattle kayaktivist fleet protests Arctic drilling [Filed under: activism, protest, ecofeminism, wealth, 1%, globalization, unabated capitalism, resistance]
Gather in London on Saturday if you can and demonstrate for Gaza!
Saturday 9 August 2014
Assemble 12 noon
BBC Broadcasting House
End the occupation!
No to settler colonialism,
No to apartheid!
Long live Palestine,
Long live Gaza!